This is the website for the CHI 2015 Workshop on Text Entry on the Edge, held in conjunction with CHI 2015: the 33rd ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. CHI 2015 will be held in Seoul, South Korea 18-23 April, 2015. The workshop will be held on April 18, 2015.
Call for Participation
We invite position papers for the CHI 2015 Workshop on Text Entry on the Edge. This one-day workshop will offer an interdisciplinary forum of discussion for both practitioners and academics interested in text entry in its many forms and varieties.
The primary objective of this workshop is to move the text entry community beyond its focus on the mobile phone by stimulating work in three under-explored edge cases in text entry research:
- Novel technologies such as wearables, smartwatches, interactive walls, and depth sensors
- Non-traditional users - users of assistive technology, the very old, and the very young
- Unexplored domains such as texting while encumbered, text entry in the smart home, text entry for language acquisition, text entry on public terminals, etc.
A second objective is to bring text entry researchers’ working domains outside of human-computer interaction (HCI) such as natural language processing (NLP) and augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) together to meet with the HCI text entry community at CHI.
Researchers from both industry and academia with an interest in text entry are invited to submit a position paper. The paper should be at most four pages in the CHI Extended Abstracts format. This position paper should including a brief biography and should address one of the workshop's three grand challenges.
Participants will be selected on the basis of the quality of their position paper. At least one author of each accepted paper must register for the workshop and for one day of the conference itself. Participants will be invited to present a position statement on at least one panel and will also present a poster on their current text entry research interests.
More background information is available in the workshop proposal paper ().
How to Submit
- Write a position paper in the CHI Extended Abstracts Format (maximum four pages).
- Email your position paper in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submission deadline: January 21, 2015.
- Notification of acceptance: February 2, 2015.
- Workshop: April 18, 2015.